Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Can you live without her

I rarely recommend movies to friends. I'll say whether I personally like them, but putting my stamp of approval it doesn't sit right with with me. Because I shouldn't be watching them and don't want to be the reason that someone else does.

Aside from the religious aspect of it that most movies aren't clean, I feel that I shouldn't be watching them because they are a waste of time. Secondly, moving my mind into a realm of fantasy where the only females on this planet are models, violence is the best way to accomplish one's goals and where there's almost always a happy ending isn't good. For others maybe it's fine, not for me. 

When I do end up watching a movie it's because I need a brainless activity. I'm not pleased with myself when I do, but sometimes I allow myself. 

So, today I watched a movie. I anticipated it being of the brainless type which is what I wanted. I was pleasantly surprised. I won't recommend it, but I will say that it was a great movie that was clean of nudity (although there was a scene or two where it was discussed). The language was colorful, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. End of Watch is the movie.

A bit more than halfway through the movie, the two main characters are in their car and talking about marriage. One character recalls what his grandmother told him to use to gauge whether he was ready to marry his girlfriend: "Can you live without her? And if the answer is yes, man up and forget her."

I hate stopping movies in the middle of them. I stopped the movie and let that sink in. 

I finished watching the movie, but that line is still sinking in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thought that has repeatedly crossed my mind since that line is that she's somewhere out there. 

Of the two songs that I found with that title, the embedded song below is more along the lines with my scattered thoughts.



2 comments:

  1. A few years ago I remember reading an article written by psychiatrist or psychologist. I don't remember the details, but his point was that what we consider really romantic in songs and movies, such as the idea of not being able to live without someone, etc, is really a disease or a psychological disorder. A healthy person should be able to live through a break up with someone without breaking down or dying. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. That crossed my mind at some point or another.

    I think the idea is to ask one's self how they would feel if that person were to permanently leave their lives. Sometimes you break up with a date and it's an "on to the next one" kind of reaction, and other times it's heartrendingly painful.

    When a guy is ready to propose to a girl, I think the gauge should be if he can or can't imagine life without this girl in his life.



    What I wrote earlier in this comment doesn't sit so well with me now that I look at it hours later.

    So, back to processing we go.

    As you said, something to think about.

    ReplyDelete