Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Savannah, Georgia



Opening the door from the stairs to the lobby of the hotel, I felt the door bump into something. Something that shouldn't have been there. Knowing that it would be a person, and before seeing who it was, an apology was already halfway out of my mouth.

It was a woman standing in front of the door. She apologized as well for having been in a place that she shouldn't have been. And she did so in an English accent. Curious, I asked her if she was from England. She said no. I wasn't going to give in, so I asked if it was Australia. Nope. South Africa? No. I gave up and asked her. Savannah, Georgia. What?

I'm no expert in accents, but I know enough not to confuse a Southern accent for an English sounding one. Turns out she was putting it on. Ok, whatever.

Saturday night I bumped into her again and a friend who was with me asked her about the weather out there. After discussing that for a minute, I piped in that Florida and California were my two destinations of choice if weather were the only factor.

She replied, "Forget there, come back with me to Georgia!" Her cohorts were quick to second the motion and a total of five women extended an invitation to me to join them in Savannah, Georgia.

There was no chance of a comprehensible statement leaving my mouth after that line, never mind the follow-up offers, so I laughed half-heartedly and quickly made my escape.

The blatant lack of embarrassment displayed by these women in front of each other and multiple other people reminded me of the trait we Jews are blessed to possess: Bashfulness (Yevamos, 79a).

Have any of you ever been on the receiving end of such an inappropriate offer?


6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's mighty... awkward? I would have run!
    Coming from the other side, I've certainly had my fair share of inappropriate offers, gestures, and comments. It may be in jest, but it is certainly uncalled for. Good on ya for getting away... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this first time reader of your blog doesn't get it. maybe it's my male inability to read between female lines. What's wrong, or inappropriate of people extending an invitation to you? I do it every Friday night to new faces I see in our shul to come and have a shabbos meal with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelli, ya, I'd imagine that as a girl it happens. Disgusting, but guys are generally more inappropriate than women. That was part of the surprise I felt.

    In the vanguard, welcome and thank you for your comment. The invitation was by several non-Jewish women, to me, a Jewish and religious male. They weren't inviting me over for a Shabbos meal if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that can be extremely uncomfortable. I think it depends on who says it and how it is said. This reminds me of the time I was waiting for the subway and this guy came up to me to ask for directions. He was very chatty. Noticing my luggage, he asked where I was from etc. Then he told me he was from Tennessee and he was in town for his best friend's wedding. We probably talked for like 10 minutes and when his train ended up coming before mine, he jokingly suggested that I should join him instead of waiting around. I don't think he meant anything inappropriate by it though. He seemed like a very nice guy, so I just smiled and wished him a safe trip back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewish Gal, being a guy, I'd suggest he probably did. But I like the way you handled it. If I hadn't been rendered speechless by their overtures, I probably would have tried the same.

    In the vanguard, I did not feel dissed, but yes, we do exist.

    ReplyDelete