Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Put it on your resume


The irony of what I was doing at the time that I was all but called a girl by “in the vanguard” not once but twice is far from lost on me. Calling on my baking advisor every 10 minutes made me feel like my sister who claims to be on the phone more frequently with my mother about baking/cooking than anything else.

For the first time, I understood what she was talking about. I called on my mother’s invaluable advice a dozen times or two while entering the scary world of challah baking.

“I think I added 3 cups of flour instead of 4, but I'm really not sure. What do I do now?”

“Is it supposed to be looking and feeling like cake batter now?”

“It’s very sticky. It’s not supposed to be like that, is it?”

“It’s sticky.”

“It’s still sticky!”

“It’s still sticky!”

"My hand hurts."

“I think I’ve added an additional cup, or two, or three of flour. Is that okay?”

“Is it done rising?”

“Now is it done rising?”

It goes without saying that my mother started ignoring half of my questions. So I winged it.

Here they all are for your viewing pleasure.


The one in the pan is a 3 braid. The far right one is a 6 braid. And the 5 rolls are 5 rolls.

As to why I decided to bake challah, improving one's resume never hurts as one person put it. But I just wanted to do it, so I did. It was nerve-wracking, but now that I did it, and it tastes good, challah baking was a great experience. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. Ouch...

    And nice challahs :) That sounds like me when i bake. I am convinced its a chemistry experiment gone wrong. but those look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "baking adviser" Cute description. Your mom can put it on her resume.

    These look like pretty challahs. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks downright YUMMY! It never ceased to amaze me as I grew up when my mom, a"h, could make the tastiest, crunchiest yummiest foods the world never knew - and she did it all by instinct, never using recipes. My wife ..., well that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words.

    Rachelli, every time I enter the kitchen to cook or bake I'm convinced it is going to end with something on fire. Thankfully though, all of my attempts have met with success.

    Altie, welcome to my blog. I've tried to convince her to open a store, but I have yet to succeed. Maybe I can try again though.

    In the vanguard, I completely agree. My mother is the same in that everything she makes is delicious. Some people are just naturals at it and I'm thankful that my mother is one of them.

    ReplyDelete