Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Stay off Facebook


Busy as a bee. Thank God for that. But it also means I have had no opportunity to write. On this quiet Friday morning, here I am. It would be nice to make a commitment to write more frequently, but with my schedule as it is that’s unlikely. I suppose what ZP said is applicable here. I haven’t been terribly inspired of late to write. I have had more success with “learning to say nothing”, but nothing so challenging that I would write about it.

Reading other blogs has clued me in to some features about Blogger, so I’ve given it a go by including a picture. Not an exciting one mind you, just a screenshot of my phone.


The highlighted article deserves a post for itself for the insanity alone, but the article below is actually the reason for my first post in quite some time. It no longer appeared in my feed, so I gave witchcraft a shout out.

“A father in Wellesley, Mass., is paying his daughter $200 to stay off of Facebook. Paul Baier signed a contract with his 14-year-old daughter in which he agreed to pay her $50 on April 15 and $150 on June 26 if she stays off Facebook. The daughter also agreed to give her dad the password to her account so he could change it.” uticaod.com.

Never seen this website, probably never will again.

What struck me about this article isn’t that someone was paying his daughter to stay off of Facebook but that it was news at all. That he paid her makes sense to me. Why it’s news, not so much. For a place like Wellesley, which I’ve never heard of, maybe it’s news. But for it to be parsed by Yahoo! and included into national news, which is sent out to hundreds of thousands of phones like mine? Reported by the AP? Aren’t incentives for staying off of Facebook commonplace?

I don’t have Facebook and don’t plan on allowing my kids to have it either. But if they did end up getting it, I would pay them to stay off.

Would you?

3 comments:

  1. I dislike facebook and do not have an account. The good news is that facebook is no longer considered "cool" and todays youth / teens arent too into it. The bad news is that they are using other services which are more invasive / hold less value to privacy.

    Would I pay my kid to stay off of facebook? Of course not. That would be the ultimate incentive for him her to go and get an account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see or hear about this trend, but if that's the case, I'm pleased to hear. The first bit anyways.

    Well, all they'd know about my opinion of it is that they may not have it. Forcing them to give it up is virtually impossible, but giving them an incentive to do so would be my next best option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Techcrunch recently had an article on it.

      Delete