Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Dating Narrative


I stabbed her through the heart
Knives, needles and a dart
Accidentally tore her apart
Her sadness, I could tell, was off the chart

I swear, "It really WASN'T my fault"
Is it, as I'm the first who had access to her vault
Does that rub the wound with salt?
That it happened to be me, just by default?

I don't know what changed in me
That made it that I no longer wanted to be
Anywhere but not with her, free
Breaking up and filled with "glee"?

I'm filled with shame at the thought
It's something I battled and fought
But lost the war with one quick shot
When it struck me, "I simply cannot"

So back to singledom I go once again
Ignoring the "im yirtze Hashem by you" refrain
Oh, those words, how I do disdain!
I DO believe, but those words are so trite, so plain

I'm not complaining about my status
I accept that my wife-to-be is in the stratus
Working her way through life and its lattice
But I look forward to the day that God introduces us

As to the one about whom this started
Although I did leave her brokenhearted
I know a few lessons were imparted
And to her One, her path is now more charted

Where that leaves me, I have no idea
Where my One is, US, England, maybe Korea
I know it won't leave me with sleep apnea
I have faith, knowing that God is my panacea

In the meantime, to the drawing board I go
Not knowing which way the wind will blow
Which girl, whose presence on me she'll bestow
To find out if for each other our hearts will glow

Until that day, I continue this lonely game
Of dating, of letting everyone know my name
In the hope that some girl will take claim
And the spark in my heart she will make flame

I think I still believe in love at first sight
Will it happen to me- one fateful night?
Only God knows that with all His might
But I wouldn't mind, and wouldn't put a fight

I know she's out there somewhere waiting
Doing what I'm doing, being active and dating
Walks, restaurants, bowling and maybe ice skating
I hope her spirit, like mine, is not deflating

"Have faith," I shout and scream and cry
"One day we will look each other in the eye"
Say, "It was worth the wait and all of the tries"
"We've made it, we're here! Together let's fly"

But for the moment, as I date others
Deal with shadchanim and mothers
Sometimes, even sisters and brothers
Be strong, be wise, accept the smothers

There are those who will badger you
And there are those who will spew
Ignore them all, except those who are true
And always encourage everything you do

I believe this poem has gone off topic
But being a poet, I can hardly be called myopic
One could say my vision is telescopic
In some ways, even philanthropic

But I've done it again, not letting this end
This little ditty, that I have sat and penned
The way I write, it seems to be a trend
Always goes a little bit around the bend

It's something I'm used to and enjoy
It makes me feel young, like a little boy
Who can do what he wants full of joy
I treat my writing, like he treats his favorite toy

As for the girl, her heart, I know, will heal
And she will allow herself again to feel
She will fall for someone else head over heel
And now, with that, I will end this lengthy spiel


The other posts I've written about dating and or girls herehere, and here are unconnected to one another. Some are about an experience I've had, others are not. I write as I'm inspired to write and not necessarily is something that I've written relevant today. Happens to be though, at the moment, I'm single.

6 comments:

  1. What a poet! I'm learning so many new words by reading this! Panacea? Lol. Loving it. This poem also appeals to singles everywhere. Keep the hope firm and strong...you'll read this to your bashert one day and enjoy it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! If you want to read an amazing poet, check out Rachelli at http://rachelliwrites.blogspot.com/. She puts me to shame.

    Haha. If you keep reading, perhaps you'll get to learn a few more. No promises.

    Thank you for your encouraging words. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If "access to her vault" implies what I think it does, then, yes-you are at fault. I am a firm believer in physical intimacy only after marriage (it's halachically correct as well). If the girl is willing, then she does not respect herself enough--and probably is not the right girl for you.
    Just a Savta's opinion (an observant Jewish mother who raised 5 kids).
    You do have poetic talent, however...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, God forbid!! The vault I was referring to was her heart. In this post: http://learningtosaynothing.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-back.html you'll see that I'm shomer.

    I can understand why your mind went the way it did. I apologize for the misunderstanding. That wasn't clear at all. Do you think it needs to be edited or have an addendum to clarify or is this comment enough?

    And a good opinion it is. It never dawned on me to understand it that way, but I'm glad you commented so I can clarify.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. "Access to her vault..." My innocent mind didn't think of that as sexual innuendo until it was pointed out. But that's the beauty of poetry, words will mean what YOU mean it to mean. Doesn't matter what others think...almost everything these days can be a double entendre. Yes, even Disney songs...(quite sadly).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very pleased to discover that there was accidental innuendo and I DIDN'T catch it. Nowadays, when anything and everything can be (and generally is) sexualized, I'm happy to see that I can still miss them.

    True, but misunderstandings like that are not good ones to have, no?

    But Disney songs are still the best, no matter what innuendo is in there.

    ReplyDelete