Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Higher Expectations


Phone calls. They've become the most hated part or my life. Not because I don't like speaking to people because I do. Friends, family, coworkers, business associates, even my bosses. I enjoy all of the communication that goes on. But recently I've come to absolutely despise getting on the phone.

Because it is impossible for the person on the other end of the line to not get interrupted multiple times. I can spend half the time on the phone listening to another conversation that the person I'm talking to is having while I'm on the phone with them.

I try and ask everyone I get on the phone with, when I initiate, if it's a good time for them. If it's not, I ask them to call me back. But if you've told me that it is a good time, GIVE ME YOUR TIME!!! Don't tell me it's a good time and then tell me shortly after it's not!

I don't want to hear your child come into the room and ask you a question and then you have me wait while you address it. I don't want to hear your coworkers start up a conversation while we're in middle of work. And I definitely don't want you putting me on hold for you to FIND OUT what some random phone number is calling about!

When they initiate the call, forget it. My patience wears even thinner even quicker. I've hung up on people for pulling that on me. I don't care why you're calling, or how important it is, DO NOT CALL ME IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TALK TO ME!!

When I get on the phone, unless I have to be at my computer for whatever reason, I go somewhere where I cannot be interrupted! Outside, or my room.

I get it. There are times where you need to talk to someone else about something important while you're on the phone. But with the frequency that I'm put on hold or having my conversations interrupted, nope, no way are all these people interrupting for valid reasons.

I get it. Some people will never be free to have an interruption-free conversation. A father of 8 children, all living at home, will always be interrupted. A business changing locations or in the middle of their high season will have important things that need to be dealt with. But really? Can't I have 2 minutes go by where I have their full attention?

This is all for people of whom I have a little bit of significance to, but when it happens while I'm on the phone with a girl I'm dating, I'm speechless. Really? You're going to put me on hold for 3 minutes and when you get back, not say a word about it? "It was really important" or something to that effect. Nothing? Or interrupting the conversation 4-5 times to talk to others? Even 2-3 times is inexcusable. What am I to you? I'm not your friend, nor your parent, and I'm not someone you can treat with anything other than 100% of your attention. I'm your potential husband and I expect to be treated as such.

Is it too much to ask to have a phone call without interruptions?

This isn't about me in particular, or even phone calls- good excuse for a rant though- but an attitude towards dating as a whole. The two daters can not control every aspect of each other's day. If that happens, then, there should be no need to say, that's unhealthy. But the time that is set aside for each other, set aside. Away. Out of touch and out of contact of others.

3 comments:

  1. Nobody wants to lose a phonecall-faceoff. That's worse than a cell phone street call!

    (referencing Seinfeld)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost me, I'm afraid, with the reference. Never was much of a Seinfeld watcher, or any TV, for that matter. For the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you
    If I'm put on hold I hang up.. You can cal me when your done

    ReplyDelete