Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tasteful Tunes Thursday


I decided that with the frequency of my posting, or lack thereof more accurately, I should set a day, or two, where I post on a specific topic. So, welcome to my first installment of Tasteful Tunes Thursday. I intend on posting a song every Thursday that I come across that I find interesting or really really good. Hope you enjoy.

I haven't decided if I'm going to post songs with kol isha. While I do listen to kol isha at this point in my life, I'm not sure if I want to be 1) condoning my listening by posting it and 2) putting other guys in a position to listen to it. For now, until I find across a song to share that is so unbelievable I can't stop myself from sharing it, I'm going to try and stay away from them. For now....

This first song, isn't really in tune with Tasteful, but it's so good, I have to share it. It's a "Punk goes Pop" song which means that it's a cover of a pop song, done in a punk way. I'm not really sure how they define punk because this song is what would be called "Screamo." Screamo, for those who don't speak English so well, has screaming in it. Not shrieky screaming, but screaming. I've never liked a Screamo song until this one. The amount of screaming is minimal relative to other songs I've heard and the lead vocal's voice is amazing. Be advised, there is some cursing, another aspect that makes it less tasteful, but the original song does too so it's less so.

Anyway enough of me talking. Enjoy the music and the accompanying video which is also done really well.




Next week's will not be happening I just realized because of Shavuos, but the next installment will most definitely be more tasteful.

10 comments:

  1. So, in theory, I could appreciate this song, but knowing the original, I feel that this one takes away from the meaning of the song... the original with Adam Levine (who is phenomenal), has so much pain in it... like you can hear the separation... this one is good, but very different message...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take on it. This particular song of theirs I didn't connect to very much. I love the song, but that's as far as it went for me.

      Delete
  2. I liked the original. It's actually the only Maroon5 song I like. It came out at a time that related to my life perfectly.

    I also liked how you addressed the kol isha thing. I'm in a similar situation to you, which is why I wrote that I specifically don't condone it and believe its wrong (despite my own listening to it) and put a warning under the song if it contains kol isha, so if someone is makpid on it (as we all should be, ideally) they won't listen to it. (I'm referring to my post here: http://thefrumgeek.blogspot.com/2013/03/on-kol-isha-and-taylor-swift.html )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I didn't even realize that song had coarse language. I just listened to the radio version last summer. Hm. Learn new things every day.

      Delete
    2. I remember reading your post on this. I liked it (but for someone reason didn't comment- don't remember why now), and reading it again, I have an upcoming post that's similar to a point you made.

      Ya, the radio edit legally has to have the cursing edited out.

      Delete
  3. For some reason, I find screaming in punk music hilarious. It's just so exaggerated and dramatic and giggle-inducing :)I guess I'm more pop than punk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Me too. Not a fan of it. Which is why I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this song. Very unlike my taste, but I don't know, there was something about this that I liked. I'm also a lot more pop than punk. Once I heard this one I listened to a bunch of others and found 3 or 4 that I liked, but still, most of them, not my speed.

      Delete
  4. You're a punk fan? Cool! I'm planning on doing a post on punk in relation to fashion soon.

    I def prefer this guy's voice (as opposed to Maroon 5). I don't always like the girlish timber in Adam Levine's voice. The screamo part frightens me a little though, lol ;) I guess I'm just not used to it.

    I look forward to your Tasteful Tuesdays. I love learning about other people's music preferences and song choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Tasteful Thursdays I meant.

      Delete
    2. Apparently now I'm a fan of a few of them! As I said in my reply to NWAV, not a fan, but there are a few songs out there that have some merit to them.

      I'm looking forward to your post on punk fashion- that sounds really cool.

      I agree. This song has something to it, that in some ways I like it better than the original. Personally I wish there had been no Screamo at all.

      Now that I've changed it, you got it right the first time ;)

      Delete