Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tasteful Tunes Tuesday


As I skimmed through my music, trying to find obscure songs, or famous songs sung by obscure artists, I realized that I have a lot more music with female singers than male. This is disconcerting as it really opened my eyes to just how much music I plan on giving up one day. I hadn't thought I'd be able to swear off all secular music at once, and intended in doing it in two steps: kol isha, and then the rest. That doesn't look like a realistic option any more.

In the meantime, I still haven't gotten to the stage where I'm willing to share kol isha on this blog. I hope I don't get there, but if I do, I'd appreciate it if all you filled up my inbox with scathing criticism and a demand to never do it again :)

Today's medley is a series of songs that you undoubtedly all know. But I suspect you've never heard the arrangement I'm going to share with you.

Music without words has always had a special place in my heart because I can listen to it guilt free. Secular music with words, even by male artists, still gives me a bit of grief. In the deepest recesses of my heart, I know I shouldn't be listening to it. Not so with music without words, even if it's a cover of a secular song.

This medley takes me back to simpler times. Not better, but simpler.

Enough talking. On to the music!

Enjoy!



8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing! Aladdin used to be one of my favorite Disney movies, (even though I was terrified of Jafar).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked! I agree- Aladdin and the first Lion King are my all-time favorites. Though that could be more because of the soundtracks than the actual movie.

      Delete
  2. Lol this is great! And I adore Aladdin too. I've seen it over 100 times and know every line by heart. (I probably shouldn't have admitted that :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to get such positive responses. Thanks!

      I think many of us have seen these multiple times, so you have company.

      Delete
  3. Prince Ali! Mighty is he! Ali Ababwa!!!

    My favorite Disney movie EVER. It has one of the greatest soundtracks too. If a guy sings Aladdin's smooth, dulcet part in "A Whole New World" to me, then he's found a sure way into my heart.

    This instrumental was definitely fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It's amazing the things women come up with as sure fire ways into their hearts!

      Happy you liked :)

      Delete
  4. This was such a nice blast from the past! I haven't seen Aladdin in ages.

    And The Beckster - I second that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could bring back some memories :)

      Delete