Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

You Look Good


I know I'm breaking blogging etiquette by posting twice in one day, but I felt that I should jot down these thoughts before they escape me and before I can look back and tell myself it's too cheesy to post. (If you haven't read or commented on the first one yet, here it is.)

I walked into shul before maariv tonight and was just standing around by my seat waiting for maariv to begin. A prestigious member of the shul, and someone who I've spoken to occasionally in the past, saw me and said, "You look good." I knew he wasn't referring to the way I was dressed. I had just come from outside and was wearing an old gray sweatshirt that helps keep me warm on these quasi-cold spring nights. It's not an attractive sweatshirt.

But something about my appearance led him to compliment me in the simplest of ways. And it really had an effect on me. My davening was so much better tonight because of what he said to me.

I guess, we really have no idea what a small compliment can do for a person. He has no idea what effect his words had on me. I said thank you, smiled and that was the end of it (maariv began). But it had a real, tangible effect that brought me closer to Hashem and made me feel really good about myself, even without understanding the why or how behind it.

One thing I've learned over the years is to never be spare with compliments. While I may not always accept compliments given, I give as many as I can, over the smallest things. Oftentimes, when I get a compliment over a "small" thing, I appreciate them a lot more over the big things. It's understood that doing something big is deserving of a compliment. Small things, though, are often overlooked. When someone takes the time to recognize it, acknowledge it and act on it, that means a lot.

To me anyway.

4 comments:

  1. This is really nice :)
    I had this happen to me yesterday... I ran into one of my (only favorite) teacher from HS (I havent seen her since high school). She came over and said "It's so good to see you! You look so beautiful!"
    I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor, but at the same it felt good for her to notice that I wasn't a high school mess anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked.

      Isn't it the greatest feeling??

      Delete
  2. 100% true. I try to SINCERELY compliment as many people as I can. Even strangers. If there's a lady in front of me in line with awesome shoes, then I'll let her know :) Why not? I feel good and she feels good. It's a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really awesome of you. I can't say I compliment complete strangers very often, but having been on the receiving end of such random compliments, they're really amazing. I think I'll try and do that more often :)

      Delete