Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Don't Watch Movies

If you're one of those people who, like myself, find it difficult to follow the title of the post, have I got a movie for you.

It's not fair, that only in recent years have my writing skills become apparent, because had it happened earlier, I would have seen this movie earlier.

All of us here are writers, and good ones at that. We probably had some inspiration to write at some point or other, and just like that, our journeys began. This movie has given me pause on how I write, why I write, who I'm writing for and if I'm writing "properly."

This movie was reminiscent of Good Will Hunting, and after the movie, I discovered that not only was it the same director, but he was criticized by reviewers because of its similarity to the movie. Replace a math genius with a writing prodigy, change the scenery and voilĂ , Finding Forrester.

It was phenomenal. The trailer had me more excited about seeing the movie more so than any trailer I've ever seen.

I won't get into the details of the acting or any of that, but the storyline and specific lines by Forrester (Sean Connery), blew me away. Here are a few:

"No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think."

"Writers write things to give readers something to read."

"Why is it the words we write for ourselves...are always so much better than the words we write for others?"

This one I'm not sure about, but it's food for thought: "The object of a question is to obtain information that matters only to us."

As a writer, I'm constantly looking for inspiration for what to write about. But of course, there comes the question of how to write it. The content of the post usually speaks to me and asks to be written with a certain style of writing. Some sing poetry, some beg to be written informally, and others demand formality.

Do words "speak" to you? Do they insist on being written? Do they keep you awake at night, percolating in your head?

The answers to the questions are all yes for me. I don't think I could stop writing if I tried. I have drafts upon drafts and ideas upon ideas, waiting to be polished, finished, or written. But until I jot down at least a few words, they reside in my head, banging on my brain, demanding to be written.

Even when I didn't have the time write full-blown posts, I was scribbling (literally- my handwriting is atrocious) down thoughts. I can't not.

Anyway, I loved this movie, and if you ever get around to watching it or already have watched it, let me know what you thought.

PS. Don't watch movies.

10 comments:

  1. When I have an idea for something I want to write about, it becomes an obsession until I finally just spit it out, usually in one sitting. I definitely understand what you mean when you say that you can't not write. Songwriting is a bit different for me, though - usually I have to let the idea stew and write a little bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm not crazy!

      I know what you mean about letting an idea stew- I feel that way about my opinion essays. Writing down the headline lets me "move on" so I can do other things. Then I let the topic stew too long and never end up finishing it :P

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. (Nice advice at the end, btw! Lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, not one writer but two! I feel so normal again!!

      0:-)

      Delete
  3. Oy. You are promoting shmutz and filth that is movies.
    Shut off the monitors, and turn on some music to clear your mind. Something like "Rap God" from Eminem should do the trick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piling sarcasm on top of sarcasm on top of an already sarcastic thought is a bit much, no?

      Never heard the song, and from the sound of the song, I don't think I plan on it :-)

      Delete
    2. You think it would be too much...but it's just the right amount :)

      I also like how you don't refer to me as a "writer".

      Oh, and if you value rap for what it is, in any way, that song really does put him a step above everyone else.

      Delete
    3. Agree to disagree.

      You didn't write that you agree with what I wrote. (NWAV: I definitely understand what you mean..... FG: I know exactly what you mean). It would be worse to put words in your mouth than to not call you something, no? You didn't agree with me, so I didn't include you.

      I don't value rap for "what it is" I guess. The topics of most rap songs, the words used, the arrogance they display, the haranguing of others, etc. etc. etc. Not up my alley. Sure, the speed with which they say the words, the mastery of rhythm, the pumping beats, the expressiveness and emphasis that they so easily employ, is remarkable. Still, not my kind of music.

      Delete
  4. HI L & F! I enjoyed this post. I should check to see whether this film is on Netflix or not. You are a true writer...your sentiments are perfectly natural. Keep writing! One book that I would recommend (writer-to-writer) is 'Why We Write" (edited by Meredith Maran). You'll find that top-selling authors feel the exact same way you do when it comes to the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is- Google seemed to indicate that it is. I really really loved the movie, and Sean Connery was brilliant in it.

      Thanks for the encouragement and the book suggestion- I'm always looking for books to read. Well, to buy anyway. I don't know when I'm going to find the time to read all the books I've bought, but eh, no such thing as too many books a person can own. This one has been bought! Thanks!

      Delete