Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Textastrophe

I realized something a few months ago, while going out with a girl. I felt that because I had texted a girl so frequently, our relationship was weakening.

It turns out, according to a recently published study, that there's something to that. Of course, for every 10,000 studies published, only 3 of them have a semblance of truth (those are my numbers), but hey, if a study backs me up, I'll take it!

"When it came to the number of messages, however, men who texted more often in general reported lower relationship quality than those who didn't ping their significant others as frequently."1

The next sentence mitigates my theory with "[t]he researchers can only speculate about why..."

I decided as the relationship was waning, and on its way to the point where I would end things, that in the future, I would limit to the extreme how frequently I texted.

It's very tempting to be in constant communication with someone you're interested in and want to build a relationship with, but I believe that texting isn't the way to do it. Topics of conversation that should be had in person make their way into text conversations. Feelings that should only be expressed (until marriage anyway) in person, should not be said digitally.

For once, it appears, I might know what I'm talking about.

1 Study


No comments:

Post a Comment