Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Not the Boss

There's a very good reason that I'm not the owner of the company I work for. I am one of the higher ups in the company, but not the boss and not the owner.

Thank heavens for that. Some of my clients are insane. They also can't acknowledge that they're insane (who would?). Being insane is a challenge that many people have to deal with- I'm just not very good at dealing with them.

Which is why when I got accused of something that was so utterly and completely not in the realm of sanity, I wrote an email.

I write a lot of emails. But this one happened to be, well, eviscerating. Among other insults, I compared this person's ability to write an email to the sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial. (See here for the article in case you missed it.)

It was fun to write, but I had the presence of mind to share it with my boss and ask him if I could send it over.

He said no :-(

When he said no, he shared with me why he was saying no. Yes, this person deserves to read this email. Yes, this person made a huge mistake and then blamed it on me. And yes, this person is insane.

But, in his words, there's x amount of frustration and anger in this world. Let us end this small piece of it, that's in our lives, here and now.

Learning to say nothing is really really really really really really really difficult. I'm not there yet.

That's why it's nice to have a boss who has already learned how to say nothing.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe your dad is his boss...

    And look at you, tying the name of the blog into your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.....

      Not the first time, and not the last. I've written several posts that are specifically about Learning to Say Nothing. This was just one more of those opportunities!

      Delete
  2. I have found that just writing out one's frustrations is soothing balm enough, as opposed to mailing it out too. It's a great way to achieve the pinnacle of Learning to Say Nothing. Saying Nothing is something which should all achieve, and I applaud your mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely soothing, but the evil minion on my left shoulder enjoys hitting that send button!

      Thanks. I can use all the encouragement I can get!

      Delete