Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Saved by the Bell

I started writing a blog post about someone. Without getting into it, it wasn't the niiiicesssst of posts. It would have been done in a way that the subject would never have known it was about them. There would have been a disclaimer saying as much for anyone who might have thought it was about them.

Then my Calendar notified me about an event, a special event. An event that I started just that week.

"Don't speak Lashon Hara".

It was one of my sister's who called me with the idea that each member of our family would take on hours in which we would commit not to speak lashon hara, with the goal being that we would managed the entire 24 hours in a day.

The idea, I was told, is that it should be as easy as possible. Hours that you have a chavrusa, davening, sleeping, working, etc. It isn't supposed  to be difficult, it's just supposed to happen.

Except for a brother learning in Israel, we're all in the same time zone, so we couldn't have filled the hours with sleep, but if we could have, I'd imagine, we would have.

Thankfully, being in a largish family, we don't have to take on 6 hours each, so that's definitely a boon to it actually happening.

Anyway, as I was saying, I started writing this post about someone. And then, hashgacha pratis, my phone calendar notified me that I was up to bat for my family. I was on the clock towards completing my part in the 24 hours.

I had written two lines of what was going to be a poem, when I stopped myself.

Not speaking lashon hara is more than just "not speaking lashon hara," it's about watching what we speak!
As people I know love saying, "it's not just about the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law."

Halachically, could I have written the post? According to my limited knowledge of halacha, absolutely. Is it in the spirit of "guarding your mouth"? Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh, not so much.

So, thank you sis, for acting on the idea you heard, including me, and helping our family grow in Torah and Yiras Shamayim. You're an inspiration to me, the family, and undoubtedly others.

No comments:

Post a Comment